Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Turning negative into positive... surely it's not that hard, right?

It's so easy to rant and be negative about a place, person, situation, or issue.

All you need to do is start with one little bitsy thing and it just spirals from there.

Or, you pick up a newspaper, watch the news on television, go on twitter... and, it's more of the same.

Why the f*ck are we so bloody negative?

Yeah, the irony is not lost on me with the question/statement I made above.

So, I've decided I'm going to turn this around...

This post is going to be positive. I'm going to challenge myself today... Yes, I am not going to take the easy road... the one where if someone asked me what my list of negative things about living in Sri Lanka is, the answers would be right on the very tip of my tongue. Oooh, I am so dying to start this list, but no. No, no, I'm not going there.


Instead, the challenge I've set myself is to come up with a list of all the positive things (as opposed to the dastardly negative ones) about living in Sri Lanka.

Wish me luck, eh?

*chuckle*

It's actually not that hard to kick off this list. It's probably more about how long the list extends and whether I have to put on my 'thinking hat'.

So, let's begin... in no particular order of course, and note, these are purely my personal views:
  • Local people are generally friendly, smiley and helpful. Everywhere I go I'm always greeted with open smiles and warmth is shown to me. This is especially true outside of the main cities (no offense to urbanites intended!)
  • You can grow practically anything here. It's so freaking fertile you can throw a seed into the garden and before you know it you have fruit and vegetables growing in your garden. Okay maybe I'm exaggerating a little, but the fertility part is true
  • Although Sri Lanka has an area of only 65,610 square kilometers, you can experience both tropical and cool climates on the small island
  • There is a strong sense of family built into the culture. They even welcomed me into their fold. I have can definitely say I have "family" here.
  • An abundance of tropical fruits, vegetables and herbs/spices - simply amazing, healthy and tasty
  • Cricket. I don't think I need to say much more than this!
  • Generosity - when I open my eyes I often see it this quality in everyday life here, from giving to beggars on the street, to meals at elderly homes, clothing and other items to orphanages, freely offered driving instructions on street corners, offerings to temples/shrines and much, much more
  • I have found some amazing healers on the island - ayurveda and ancient traditional healing. You have to find by 'word-of-mouth'
  • Sri Lanka's rich history dates back more than 30,000 years ago when the island was first inhabited. But, the earliest record of events in Sinhalese history dates around 6th century BC. You can visit ancient sites around Anuradhapura, Polonnaruwa, Sigiriya, Kandy etc. that give testimony to this.


  • It'd be so easy to hate these noisy, polluting little tuk-tuks, but you know what, something in me loves them. Maybe it's the quirky stuff some of the drivers put inside their tuk-tuks or the not-so-subtle messages stuck on the back or the crazy stuff some of the drivers talk about. Whatever it is, it defines life over here!
  • Jeep safaris, flora and fauna - with relative ease of access you can drive out to one of the national parks and go on a jeep safari. What better way to spend time with nature at its most glorious.

  • There are 26 public holidays in this country, which is significantly more than other countries. What's not to love about this?
  • Free healthcare and education - access to government-funded facilities and services is available. Not many countries left in the world where this is available! Just saying.
  • Children - I notice the innocence and gentleness inherent in small kids that are raised here. It's quite precious and I hope it remains for as long as possible

  • Work-life balance - I think it's possible to find this in Sri Lanka if you want it. I know my work-life balance has significantly improved since moving here.
These are just a few POSITIVE things that come to mind. There's definitely more, but I think it fulfills this challenge of mine for now.

I'm amazed at what positivity does for one's mind! 

No comments:

Post a Comment