Friday, June 28, 2013

An expat in Sri Lanka: the Good, Bad and Ugly - Part 3

“Police are inevitably corrupted. ... Police always observe that criminals prosper. It takes a pretty dull policeman to miss the fact that the position of authority is the most prosperous criminal position available.”
~ Frank Herbert, God Emperor of Dune

You can't live in Sri Lanka without having a few stories to tell about the police. Some of these stories are from my own personal experience while others are from friends and colleagues. And, there are many that are reported by the media too.

I heard a funny story this week about a thief. I think the story inadvertently says a lot about the state of the police force in Sri Lanka.  Anyway, the story goes... there was this thief running away from the scene of his crime with his stolen loot and was being pursued by a policeman. After seeing the policeman in pursuit, the thief ran even faster. Just as the policeman saw that he was about to lose the thief he yelled out "Hold on. Wait! I'm not going to arrest you. I just want my cut from your stolen loot."

Now you may be laughing at the story, but I think you'll find a few people here who would say this is probably a true story or it doesn't fall far from reality.

I don't necessarily want to pick on the police, but share a few stories from an expat's point of view. The thing is, I'm not naive about the fact the police force isn't perfect. It's an imperfect world we live in, and it goes without saying the police aren't perfect. In fact, every police force will have its bad apples and rotten eggs. I mean, the line between the criminal world, the police force and the prison system is a very sensitive one. You've seen the legal/police/crime/forensic TV shows - where do you think their stories come from?

Before moving to Sri Lanka I'd never had much to do with the police in other countries, other than to apply for my driver's licence, renew it or get a police clearance certificate for work purposes.

So, here I am living in Sri Lanka... and I've had more dealings with the police than ever before!





** Please note, the full blog post has been removed as parts of the blog content will be edited for inclusion in an upcoming publication by the author. More information will be made available on the Adventures in a Tuk-Tuk Blog in due course **







2 comments:

KEN MEI KUAN said...

Hi Eva, I enjoy reading your blog however, only up to part 3 as the part four still loading ... (took long time though)

I am going to move to Colombo soon with my son due to family relocation. I was a bit reluctant as I am worrying about the safety as a woman to live in Sri Lanka and also the police attitude as mentioned in your blog. Would you mind to give me more information on this?

I would also wondering how is the medical service in Sri Lanka? Both for adult and baby.

Thanks

Anonymous said...

Hi Eva, about the mother-in-law matter,can't agree with your logic. The higher rate was for the mil=foreiner,no matter who the payer is. But the price difference is steep but $40 (aud) is perhaps still not too much for this unique experience. Quite a bit of "moaning" in your blog's but it is interesting. Up to episode 3, hope I don't lose it as I am hopeless at the technical side of things. Enjoy.

Post a Comment