Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Colombo Dating Confidential: Online Dating, Affairs and Other Disasters

 "Dating is like smoking. When you quit, you can't understand why you started. And when you start again, you can't understand why you quit" ~ Anonymous

Dating is one of those activities that never fails to amuse me. It's that combination of energy and expectation directed at another human being in an effort to connect, that we call "dating". It is also sometimes referred to as courtship, which is kind of sweet, though I wonder whether this is truly an applicable reference to dating these days.

You're probably going to think this blog post is about me.

I mean why wouldn't you. This is my blog, right?

Well, I hate to disappoint you, but this one isn't necessarily about me (*cheeky wink*), but it does contain stories about some of the people in my life. I hope I haven't revealed too many closet secrets and confidential tidbits about their voracious dating lives... I may just have gone all "Sex and the City" on my Colombo buddies. As it goes, it's easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission...

So what is the whole dating scene in Colombo like? I can't definitively tell you what it's actually like because it's varied and different for everyone who is dating. In many ways, some of the dating rituals are no different to what you find in other countries. But, it can also include arranged meetings and events which arise through the arranged marriage process, and other quirks that satisfy the cultural norms in Sri Lanka. Some of these cultural norms I referred to in my surprisingly popular post on "Navigating the sensitive topic of sex and intimacy on the teardrop island".

What I find interesting about dating in Colombo is what it alludes to about people, society and culture in the capital. You think you know what people are like, what society is representing and, what culture is influencing... but, it surprises you with where it appears to be heading.

There are huge expectations for singles to conform to what society dictates and cultural norms...



** Please note, the full blog post has been removed as parts of the blog content will be edited for inclusion in an upcoming publication by the author. More information will be made available on the Adventures in a Tuk-Tuk Blog in due course **







No comments:

Post a Comment