Saturday, May 31, 2014

An expat in Sri Lanka: the Good, Bad and Ugly - Part 9

Eva Stone photo, beach, Mount Lavinia, Sri Lanka
My mailbox has been inundated this year with emails from across the globe, largely from women who are either interested in or are about to embark on a longer stint in Sri Lanka. So, this post is largely going to focus on what it is like to be living as an "expat woman" in Sri Lanka and my thoughts on any perils or perks. It also comes in response to a number of recent requests for greater insight into my experience and lessons learnt over the past six years. 

I would caveat at the outset that my experience as a British expat woman living in Sri Lanka is only one perspective seen from my lenses, and there will be other expat women with similar and/or different thoughts, experiences, background and perspective from me. Please keep that in mind as you read this post.

Overall, I'd have to say my life in Sri Lanka continues to go well and I have no thoughts of moving away from Sri Lanka at this stage. Naturally, this is always subject to change, but right now I'm happy with my current set of circumstances. If you've been following my blog you'll already know I've embarked on a tentative move to Kandy, though I'm still trialing the move (i.e. I'm living between both Colombo and Kandy at present wink). It has actually opened things up for me in a positive way.

I've previously written about the initial move; handy tips for those thinking of moving to Sri Lanka; and answered some questions on life, work and culture over here. You can access these particular blog posts by clicking on the links below:


Everyday things like living, working, buying groceries, playing sports, meeting friends etc. is much the same as elsewhere. Certainly, it does take some time to figure things out, but there's nothing too daunting or overwhelming.

I guess there are a few important things to consider as a woman considering a move to Sri Lanka. These include things like personal safety, cultural considerations and practicalities...




** Please note, the full blog post has been removed as parts of the blog content will be edited for inclusion in an upcoming publication by the author. More information will be made available on the Adventures in a Tuk-Tuk Blog in due course **






No comments:

Post a Comment