Friday, January 15, 2016

A wondrous week experiencing Sri Lankan village life

As an expat living in Sri Lanka for awhile now, I'd say I'm relatively well-versed in the comings and goings of everyday life around Colombo and to a certain extent, Kandy. These are the places I've lived most of the time, as opposed to the various travel I've undertaken around this blessed little teardrop island. Very recently, I was invited to spend a week with a local family in their little village on the outskirts of Kandy. It was a genuinely unique experience and one I would love to repeat with more frequency. This blog post is about that experience which has deeply touched me on many levels and, which has taught me more about what is at the heart of Sri Lankan culture.

I met this Sri Lankan family a couple of years ago through another local friend, and pretty much from the outset the relationship has felt warmly familiar and easy. It probably has a lot to do with their innate hospitality, generosity and sincere kindness. And I'm treated much like one of their family. Now that I think about it, there are quite a few friends in Sri Lanka that have adopted me in this way, and it makes me think how very hard it would be to ever consider leaving this teardrop island. It's not often you can say that about the people you meet. And when you do, my advice is to treasure it because it is rare indeed.

So, what happens when you put this expat adventurer in a village for a week? Well, it turns out this adventurer still has much to experience and learn, and that's stated in a positive sense. It's not about putting down urban life or raising village life. It is very much about finding the gems in each and adopting them into your own way of life.

There were so many things to absorb and learn in my stint in the village household...



** Please note, the full blog post has been removed as parts of the blog content will be edited for inclusion in an upcoming publication by the author. More information will be made available on the Adventures in a Tuk-Tuk Blog in due course **




 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Eva, I enjoy reading your posts from the point of view of an immigrant who admires my native and missing land. I always want to see you in your photos, but I realised it is not possible to see you as all those photos have been taken by you (LOL) Even you are not visible in your daily trek when having a bath in the river in rural area. I guess you hid under the river currents.

Eva Stone said...

Hi Anonymous, thanks for your message. I guess I don't want to spoil the picture by taking a selfie. The landscape and scenery is much better to enjoy on its own ;-)

Jem DeAlwis said...

Did you miss the Galle Literary Festival?
http://www.colombopage.com/archive_16A/Jan17_1453017692CH.php

Eva Stone said...

Hi Jem, Actually I did manage to catch a couple of events in Kandy and Galle, but couldn't attend all of it. I may head up to Jaffna for the last installment if things work out. Did you attend any or all of it?
Best
Eva

Post a Comment